Wednesday, December 1, 2010

To Run or Not to Run?


I woke up yesterday with a little bit of a tickle in my throat, and a slightly “heavy” feeling in my chest.  Today is a little bit worse, plus my entire body is starting to feel jello-y.  Ugh.  SO NOT COOL on many levels.
At this point, I haven’t run since our 6-miler on Saturday.  This is the longest span of non-running days that I’ve had in the past 6 weeks.  And now that I’m feeling worse, things aren’t looking good as far as hitting the streets again within the next few days.  I did at least go for a walk last night, and I know that’s better than doing nothing at all, but I’m not so sure that being out in the cold was the best for me either, despite the fact that I was bundled up.

I do have a gym membership, not to mention a fitness center in my office building, so I do have the option of running on a treadmill, but just the thought of any sort of excessive physical exertion makes me feel even worse!  So I’m most likely going to take full advantage of the REST AND FLUIDS approach to getting myself back to 100% ASAP.

Aside from the training aspect, I need to be healthy for Vegas this weekend!!!

Either way, please let me know your thoughts, experiences, etc.  Do I man up and just run?  Or do I rest as much as I can over the next 3 days in hopes of feeling semi-normal to go to Vegas, and then pick up with my training next week?  


In my first post a few weeks ago, I talked about the physical changes that I was noticing in my body after just 2 weeks of training.  I’m still seeing a difference, but I do feel as though it’s not as much as I had expected.  The first few weeks my weight fluctuated as much as 5 pounds from one week to the next but since then I’m simply maintaining my starting weight.  And while it’s not about the number on the scale, this was kind of surprising as well.  I mean, I went from doing almost NOTHING and eating pretty much whatever I wanted to running a significant number of miles per week and making much better food choices, including minding my portion sizes and therefore my overall daily caloric consumption.  And yet I feel like I’m stuck.  

I have NOT been utilizing any sort of strength training thus far, and I know that this will most likely create a dramatic physical change.  For the past 2-ish weeks I have wanted to incorporate my kettle bell workouts into my training schedule, but am hesitant.  Based on past experience with my kettle bell, I know that my entire body will be very sore for a few days, and I’m afraid that that will ultimately affect my running.  The bottom line is that I just need to suck it up, start doing the kettle bell workouts, and run through the pain.  I just haven’t made up my mind to make it happen.  I’ve also considered that this week may be a good time to start the kettle bell workouts since I probably won’t be running since I don’t feel well.  If I do the kettle bell today and Friday, then I’ll have 3 full days to recover before running again on Tuesday, which should be ample time.  

Now that I’m “talking” it out, it all seems pretty simple… Kettle bell workouts will commence this evening around 6pm.

On top of all of this, Suzanne has been asking if I want to incorporate the P90X plyometrics workout into our program.  It’s not that I refuse to do it… well, ok, so maybe I sort of do… I want to do it, don’t get me wrong.  I always feel good after doing this workout.  (Exhausted!  But good!)  I just cannot get my head in the game with it right now.  I definitely have a love-hate relationship with Tony Horton and all things P90X.  And I have some of the same hesitations that I addressed above – soreness, not having enough time to recover before running, etc., so we’ll see…


 I had emailed Maresa (The Bride!!!) yesterday, talking about her upcoming wedding weekend in Vegas, but also about running (this is typical of us at this point).  I had mentioned to her how strange it feels not to have run since Saturday.  She wrote back saying that if I have that feeling that I’m officially becoming a runner.  WAHOO!  And last night Suzanne & I were talking about how we feel as though we aren’t running enough.  Can it be true?  After years of wanting and wishing and hoping (and even a few futile attempts along the way), I’m FINALLY becoming a runner??  It doesn’t seem possible after only 5.5 weeks of training, but maybe this time is THE time that will change me!

Only 2 more work days til Vegas!!  Hopefully it’ll fly by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment