Thursday, January 27, 2011

2-0-2-1

30-Day Challenge - Day 2:  Where You'd Like to be in 10 Years

Umm...  Well... Let's see...

I have always hated this question.

I've been asked this in job interviews time after time and I have never been able to answer it honestly because, quite frankly, I HAVE NO IDEA.

How about basking in early retirement and wasting away in Margaritaville (mmm... margariiiiiitttaaasss)?  Now that sounds like a great plan!  But realistically?  As long as I'm happy and at peace with the life choices that I have made along the way, I'm not too worried about where I land in 10 years.  I think everyone knows that I just like to enjoy each day as it happens, make the most of it, find the silver lining (because, yes, there always is at least one!).  I'm not much of a planner and I love that!  I feel like I contradict myself because I'm a total control freak about a lot of things, but I hate to plan ahead for anything (unless it involves traveling).

Sure, I could say that in 10 years I want to be "happily married with 2.7 kids, a dog, and a white picket fence, making $100k per year," but I think you all know me well enough to know that I'm not even sure that I want those things (well I could deal with the $100k salary, of course!).  People tell me that someday it'll hit me like a ton of bricks - that I'll get the itch to settle down and procreate.

But so far, that bug hasn't bitten me.

Which recently has made me ponder... Why haven't I been bitten by that marriage/children/settle-down-and-procreate bug yet??  I mean, am I missing something here?  Am I biologically wired to ever want those things??  Am I still that jaded from TheEx that I no longer believe that 2 people can truly remain happy together forever and ever amen, despite the fact that my grandparents, parents, and all but one of my aunts & uncles are still married?  I certainly don't come from a world of "broken homes" and "non-traditional" families, so I honestly can't figure out why I don't actively desire these things.

Where do YOU want to be in 10 years?  Do you have The Itch?

3 comments:

  1. When I saw the word jaded I immediately thought about Aerosmith and hoped you would link that song! And now I am going to have it in my head for the rest of the night.

    You know I am not sold on the idea of children but marriage, I am kinda warming up to. I would really just like a benefactor who would provide a nice cushion for me and give me some sugar....no strings attached though. But then again, that's like a hookers way of thinking eh?

    And speaking of eh

    I really want Canadian bacon but I really havent had too much pork in the past month. Maybe one. I think I shall get some Canadian bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LookingUpWhileSlimmingDownFebruary 1, 2011 at 6:48 PM

    I'm not sure that you ever really get the itch....maybe for marriage, but not sure about the kids thing. I happen to think my biological clock is broken b/c I don't even think the seconds hands on mine work. In fact, I'd like to invent a new decade called the Twirties...that 10 years time between your twenties and thirties where you just keep living life fully and loving every minute of getting to know yourself better without having to worry about marriage, kids, and all that jazz. Just keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like there's so much pressure put on us to get married, then as soon as you do that, everyone wants to know when you're gonna have kids... Why is it such a big deal to just live life and enjoy it??

    I dig the Twirties concept!
    "How old are you?"
    "Oh, I'm twirty-something!" :)

    ReplyDelete