Wednesday, January 26, 2011

All the Single Ladies ("Day" 1)

30 Day Challenge:  Day 1 - Your Current Relationship (If Single, Discuss How Single Life Is)

Anyone who knows me knows that I love being single.  I was in such an unhealthy on-and-off relationship for such a long time (nearly 4 years) that for the past 2-2 1/2 years, I've been completely content being on my own.  Having an awesome roommate and an always-entertaining, crazy, deaf dog to keep me company probably helps.  Having Suzanne and Percy in my life, how could I possibly get lonely?!?

I've been on a handful of dates, had a handful of short-lived "flings" (what else can I call them, it's not like they were actual relationships), but so far, nothing has "stuck".  A lot of girls my age wouldn't be okay with that.  Sure I occasionally have a moment where I would like to share a moment or an event or an experience with someone besides my dog or my Blackberry.  But, for the most part, I'm happy.  I'm having fun, enjoying each day as it's thrown at me.

But what about the dates?  The "flings"?  The whatever-it-was-while-it-lasted's?

Well, there's not a lot to tell.  But here are a few snapshots into the date-dabbling that I have done... (I'm borrowing some ideas/formatting from Shaka.  Sorry, girlie.  It's hard not to when it comes to this topic!)

Toothman
Nope, not a dentist, though that's still what I think of on the rare occasion that his name crosses my mind.  This is actually his last name.  But because I have ZERO ties to him anymore, I'm comfortable using his actual name.  Toothman was your typical car salesman:
    He lied (told me he was single). 
    He cheated (took me out a handful of times, meanwhile maintaining a relationship with is LIVE-IN girlfriend of 5 years). 
    He most-likely stole (he did get fired from the dealership where I met him, partly because he was writing shady deals).

But there was one thing about him that was awesome.  His car...  And not even just because of what he drove...  But because it was TheEx's dream car. 

And I can all-but-verify that TheEx saw me get out of Toothman's car one night in Old Town.  Hells-to-the-yeah.



The Baseball Player
Part of me still thinks this one was a little too short-lived, but we had a lot of fun that summer and parted on relatively good terms so I have no hard feelings.  We caught up briefly last spring and ultimately developed a professional relationship at my last place of employment.  Last I heard he's in a fairly serious relationship and seems happy.  He's a fun, sweet, adorable guy - good for him! 


The Firefighter
Simply stated, this went from 0-60 then came to a screeching halt.  When we stared hanging out, we were inseparable for 3-4 weeks.  He wanted to be with me all of the time.  I tried to play it cool, play the game, occasionally be unavailable.  But since we were neighbors at the time and could see each other's comings and goings, it was hard to be unreachable, unavailable.  Especially once he got comfortable enough to show up unannounced and just walk in.  (Oh yes, it happened.  More than once.  Mind you, I was never made it a habit of leaving my door unlocked, but sometimes I'd run out to my car or for the mail and not realize I didn't lock it when I came back inside.  Or I'd know I was leaving again in a little while, so why bother locking up?)  The Firefighter made his exit almost as abruptly as his entrance into my life.  I still hear from him on occasion, but he's a lost cause.

Snuggle Buggle 
Hahahah, that never gets old!  Snuggle Buggle was fun and I can honestly say that I do miss spending time with him.  I'm not sure if it was timing or our personalities or what (though I do have my opinions, of course), but clearly we weren't on the same page.  I had times over the last year when I'd be upset about how things panned out with Snuggle Buggle, but ultimately it just wasn't quite right.  We're still friendly and on the rare occasion that we get together to catch up, we always have a blast. 

Almost Heaven
Loooong story that I'm not 100% comfortable writing about.  Suffice it to say that I thought I had "found The One."  But timing is everything and there are a lot of reasons why things with him couldn't be what I wanted.  He's a great person who deserves a lot better than the hand he's been dealt thus far in life.  I genuinely believe that he is on his way to finding true happiness.  Much love to you friend!

Lorenzo
I'm taking a risk writing about this one since we're still getting to know each other, and there's a good chance that someday he'll actually see this blog.  But I have to share...  We met at Saddle Ranch the weekend before Christmas.  We were at a bar.  It was loud, and I was drunk.  And I swear he told me that his name is Lorenzo.  It's not.  Or perhaps he did tell me that his name is Lorenzo because he didn't expect to ever see me again??  But lo and behold, we're still talking.  At some point I plan to ask him if I made that up in my head or if he did actually introduce himself by a false name (hey, I've done it!)...  

Ahh, what a fun little trip down Memory Lane!

2 comments:

  1. You so need to check his wallet this wknd! Somehow?! I am presuming you will be staying there even though I know you said you may stay with fam. But if you get the chance do it!

    I completely forget about baseball dude. and I never knew that sketchers last name was Toothman! Did he ever sing "I'm the Tooth-man!" to the tune of Scat Man? That would be awesome.

    Hooray for dogs and blackberries-what more does a girl need?

    And why the eff did I just have a delicious meatless meal and now all that seems to be playing is Quizno's Prime Rib sandwich commercials? Dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... "But if you get the chance do it!"

    Do WHAT exactly?? Check his wallet? For what? I finally know his last name. Should I memorize his address and SSN too?? (Actually, maybe I should just in case!)

    No, Toothman never sang that. He was too uptight to sing. Plus it's not like I really spent all that much time with him since he had a live-in!! Jerk. Thank God he finally stopped calling... AFTER A YEAR!

    ReplyDelete